Launch of the Merseyside and Region Stoma Service in Warrington on 20th September 2021.
NHS Warrington CCG have commissioned a centralised service to support those patients who receive stoma appliances. This new service is known as Merseyside & Region Stoma Service (MARSS) which is provided by an established company called Bullen Healthcare Ltd.
If you would like know more about the process of how this service was commissioned, please see the following document:
The aim of this new service is to improve the long-term care that patients with a stoma receive. For Warrington patients it is designed to manage the prescribing of your stoma products. You will still receive the same level of clinical stoma care, advice and support that you currently get from the Bridgewater Community NHS Foundation Trust Nursing Service.
The new service means that your GP practice will no longer issue prescriptions for your stoma products such as stoma bags, base plates, adhesive remover. Instead, these prescriptions will be issued by the Merseyside & Region Stoma Service (MARSS). This service will be run by a team of specialist stoma care nurses and personal stoma advisors.
The way in which your stoma products are dispensed and delivered to you WILL NOT change.
If your stoma prescription items are usually dispensed to you by a Dispensing Appliance Contractor (DAC) or your local pharmacy, this will continue to happen. You can also decide to change this at any time. There will be no changes to your method of delivery or collection from these services.
The Merseyside and Region Stoma Service will not replace the care that you may currently be receiving from the Bridgewater Community Stoma Care Service specialist nurses and the new service will work closely with the Bridgewater team to make sure you receive a seamless service.
This service will also work alongside the specialist teams at the following NHS hospitals:
- Warrington and Halton Hospitals NHS Trust.
- St Helens & Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
- Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Trust. (Aintree, The Royal Liverpool, Broadgreen)
- Wirral University Teaching Hospital.
What happens now and what do I need to do?
- MARSS launched in the Warrington area on 20th September 2021 for adult patients.
- You will automatically be registered onto the new service.
- Once you are registered for the service you will receive a welcome telephone call from one of the MARSS personal advisors to introduce you to the service and explain how it works.
- From 20th September 2021 when you need your next prescription for stoma items, please contact the MARSS using the contact information below.
MARSS contact information:
Telephone: 0800 915 9046
Visit the service website:
MARSS Patient Letter and Information Leaflet - Warrington
Existing patients will have received a patient letter and information leaflet prior to the launch of MARSS in Warrington on 20th September 2021 – Please see copies below –