Launch of the Merseyside and Region Stoma Service in Halton on 27th September 2021.
NHS Halton CCG have commissioned a centralised service to support those patients who receive stoma appliances. This new service is known as Merseyside & Region Stoma Service (MARSS) which is provided by an established company called Bullen Healthcare Ltd.
If you would like know more about the process of how this service was commissioned, please see the following document:
The aim of this new service is to improve the long-term care that patients with a stoma receive. It is designed to oversee all aspects of your stoma product prescribing and provide stoma-related support and advice.
This means that your GP practice will no longer issue prescriptions for your stoma products such as stoma bags, base plates, adhesive remover. Instead, these prescriptions will be issued by the Merseyside & Region Stoma Service (MARSS). This service will be run by a team of specialist stoma care nurses and personal stoma advisors.
The way in which your stoma products are dispensed and delivered to you WILL NOT change.
If your stoma prescription items are usually dispensed to you by a Dispensing Appliance Contractor (DAC) or your local pharmacy, this will continue to happen. You can also decide to change this at any time. There will be no changes to your method of delivery or collection from these services.
The Merseyside and Region Stoma Service will not replace the care that you may currently be receiving from the specialist nurses at your local hospital.
This service will work alongside the specialist teams at the following NHS hospitals:
- Warrington and Halton Hospitals NHS Trust.
- St Helens & Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
- Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Trust (Aintree, The Royal Liverpool, Broadgreen.)
- Wirral University Teaching Hospital.
What happens now and what do I need to do?
- MARSS launched in the Halton area on 27th September 2021 for adult patients.
- You will automatically be registered onto the new service.
- Once you are registered for the service you will receive a welcome telephone call from one of the MARSS personal advisors to introduce you to the service and explain how it works.
- From 27th September 2021 when you need your next prescription for stoma items, please contact the MARSS using the contact information below.
If you have any further questions or would like more information you can:
Telephone: 0800 915 9046
Visit the service website -
MARSS Patient Letter and Information Leaflet - Halton
Existing patients will have received a patient letter and information leaflet prior to the launch of MARSS in Halton on 27th September 2021 – Please see copies below –