Just to let you know the Halton SEND Carers Forum website is now up and running. More details will be added to the website within the next few weeks.



​Halton SEND weblink​

Animated film introduces personal health budgets for NHS Continuing Healthcare

SEND Local Offer -Schools


SEND title.png

The Children and Families Act, came into effect from September 2014. The Act changes the way in which children and young people (0-25) with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities are supported at school and in the community. The key principles of the act are to ensure that parents/ carers and children and young people are more involved in decisions that affect their lives. Education, health and social services work more closely together to ensure that children and young people are supported to achieve their outcomes they want and need in their lives to reach their aspirations.

SEND four reasons.png

  • Education, health and health care plans
  • Halton Local Offer - which brings together information about how children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and their families may be supported in Halton. This Information is in one place and may be a first point of call for children, young people and their families and professions offer support within the community. For more information please follow the Halton Local Offer link
  • Personal Budgets and joint commissioning
  • Preparing for adulthood

SEND Education, health and care plans.png

Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans bring together a child's / young persons education, health and social care needs into a single, legal document. The document sets out what extra support they will get to meet those needs.

EHC plans are for children and young people aged up to 25 25 who have special educational needs and need more support than is avaliable through their preschool, school or college establishment.

Education, Health and Care Plans cancontinue to support young people up to the age of 25 if the local authority considers that the young person needs more time to complete their education or training.
Click here to see the SEND video on Youtube logo.png
SEND personal budgets.png

A Personal Budget for Special Educational Needs (SEN) is money set aside to fund support as part of an Education, Health and Care plan (EHC plan) for a child or young person with special educational needs. A personal budget must support the outcomes specified in the EHC Plan. This enables more choice and controlover services received, parents and/or the young person must always be involved in planning the personal budget.

This can include funds from Education, Health and Social Care. However the budget would not be the total resources that are available to support a child or young person, just the amount that can be used flexibly by the family or young person to support additional needs identified within the EHC Plan.

Check out this link for information about Annual Health Checks NPS_Website_Banner_Choices.jpg
Halton Childrens Trust.pngClick here to have a look at the Halton Children and Young People's Participation Strategy 2014/17
 Click here to have a look at the Easy to read guide to Commissioning

People with learning disabilities have poorer health than their non-disabled peers, differences in health status that are, to a significant extent, avoidable. These health inequalities start early in life.

The purpose of a health action plan is thus to translate the results of a health check into agreed actions.
Click here to have a look at the Easy to read guide to health services

The Common Assessment Framework (CAF) is an assessment of your child's needs, in Halton this is used as a key tool to be employed by professionals when a family is identified as requiring support. This is often completed by a professional known to the family from early years, health or education. The CAF helps to record the child and family's needs, identify what additional support is required and is used to help coordinate early help and support. This could include assistance with benefits, housing, adaptations and equipment, short breaks or child care.

For further information on CAF please speak to someone working with the child/young person within school or health or contact the Contact Centre on 0151 907 8305

The best place to get information regarding parent carers is at the Carers UK website

Children and young people's continuing care is a term that describes a tailor made package of support needed over an extended period of time for children and young people with complex health needs which arise because of a disability, accident or illness. This is for children and young people, aged 0-18 years, that despite accessing all available support from health services SEND Local Offer for Halton a tailor made package of support is still required to meet their health care needs.

The process follows the National Framework for Children and Young People's Continuing Care (Department of Health, 2015). The 'Framework' describes the process, led by CCGs, which organisations should go through in assessing needs and putting in place bespoke packages of continuing care for children and young people. The assessment process is not a set process and may be adapted to meet the needs of the child/young person and their family. In particular, where a child has a special educational need or disability (SEND), which will often be the case, then CCGs and local authorities should endeavour to coordinate the assessment and agreement of the package of continuing care, as part of the process to develop the child's Education, Health and Care plan.

It is different from NHS Continuing Healthcare (CHC), which can be provided to adults who have very severe or complex health needs. The main difference is that while continuing healthcare for adults focuses mainly on health and care needs, continuing care for a child or young person should also consider their physical, emotional and intellectual development as they move towards adulthood. The framework offers guidance about Transitional planning and arrangements for young people as they move into adulthood and adult services.

The NHS and Local Authority work together to provide a holistic care package that meet the assessed health, social care and educational needs that adhering to the principle of best outcomes for both child/young person and their family. Assessments are carried out at a place of the parent/child's choice usually in the family home.

Click here to have a look at the Easy to read complaints policy
You have the right to comment, complain and compliment under the Complaints Procedure. A copy of the complaints procedure can be obtained from HBC Customer Care Team, Runcorn Town Hall, Halton Borough Council, Freepost WIP4, Widnes, WA8 7BR or for NHS Halton CCG haltonccg.complaints@nhs.net or 0800 2182333.

You can always call NHS Halton CCG on 01928 593479 and we can point you in the right direction