The Met Office has issued a Level 3 Cold Weather Alert for the North West, North East and West Midlands regions between 0900 on Wednesday 29 November and 0900 on Saturday 02 December 2017. The rest of the country has received Level 2 Cold Weather Alert.
Severe winter weather is defined as a mean temperature of 2°C or less and/or heavy snow and widespread ice.
Advice to keep warm and well this winter:
- Keep warm and healthy by keeping rooms heated to at least 18C
- Don't put off getting the flu vaccination. If you're eligible get it now. It's free because you need it
- Look out for friends, relatives and neighbours who may be vulnerable to the cold
- Stay tuned to the weather forecast and plan ahead with supplies
- If you meet the criteria register for priority service with your energy and water suppliers
- Have regular hot meals and drinks throughout the day and keep active to help you stay warm
- Get financial support to make your home more energy efficient, improve your heating or help with bills
- Have your heating and cooking appliances checked regularly
- Wear a few layers of thin clothing rather than one thick layer, and when you need to go outside wear shoes with slip resistant, good grip soles